Pairs with Spindrift Cellars Pinot Noir
makes 1 ½- 2 dozen appetizers
1 pound mushrooms (uniform size)
4 strips of bacon, diced
½ cup minced onion, or use part of green onion
2 tablespoons minced green bell pepper
1 teaspoon salt to taste
1/8 teaspoon black pepper to taste
3 oz. cream cheese- room temperature
½ cup fine dry bread crumbs, plain
¼ cup hot water
Choice of shredded cheese for topping; optional (mozzarella, cheddar or Parmesan)
1. Clean mushrooms (no water), remove stems, chop and set aside.
2. Bake or pan fry the bacon; remove to a paper towel.
To the drippings add onion, green pepper and chopped stems, cook until tender, drain. Salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
3. In a bowl combine the bacon mixture with the softened cream cheese; press into mushroom caps, mounding a bit.
4. Place bread crumbs in another bowl. Turn filled mushroom caps upside down and gently press in bread crumbs; coating the tops.
5. Place in a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Carefully add ¼ cup hot water to bake, uncovered, 20-25 minutes.
6. At the end sprinkle shredded cheese of choice on top of each mushroom cap; return to melt.