Sourdough pancakes, with their fresh, zesty flavor, make a nice change from boring old regular pancakes. The sourdough flavor will not overwhelm your syrup or toppings, just add an extra bit of punch. And sourdough waffles are a hit at our house served with fruit or maple syrup.
I double this recipe with 3 boys in my house so we can have leftovers!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sourdough starter
- 1 ½ cups milk or maybe a little more depending on your sourdough starter consistency you could also substitute for buttermilk
- Touch of lemon juice and or a little shredded lemon rind
- 1 large egg beaten (separate yoke from whites and whip egg whites to make fluffier)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Fold in all the other ingredients do not over mix if you want your pancakes fluffy.
- Fold in the egg whites as the last step.
- Butter or spray a pan well. In our house we use butter.
- Pour batter on the hot pan. Cook until the pancakes start to bubble in the top, then flip the pancake.
If you want to make waffles, I use the same recipe, but I separate the eggs and whip up egg whites into large peaks in a mixing blender before I do anything else and set off to the side.