Adapted from a Bon Appétit recipe
vegetable peeler, large bowl, small bowl, citrus juicer, microplane grater, whisk, pepper grinder
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 1 lb. asparagus with fat spears (trimmed and peeled stems)
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan, plus a piece for shaving
- 1 ½ Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice and zest for garnish
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
If you can only find thin Asparagus to use, here are some options using the same dressing:
Skip the shaving of the spears. Just trim or peel off any woodiness at the stem end and slice each spear on a diagonal into 2-3 pieces. Use an extra squeeze of lemon juice to pre-marinate the asparagus spears while you make the dressing (or cover and marinate in the fridge for an hour or two.
- Wash asparagus and use vegetable peeler to peel the woody outer layer off the stem end, trim and discard any remaining woody portion.
- Use peeler to shave each spear into long strips into your bowl, snap asparagus tips into bowl as you go.
- To make the dressing: Add the finely grated Parmesan and lemon juice into the small bowl, using a whisk (or a fork) slowly incorporate the olive oil – think drizzle, not pour – until well blended, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Distribute the dressing over the asparagus and toss to evenly coat. A little time to marinate won’t hurt either.
- Plate your servings of asparagus and garnish with shaved Parmesan and a sprinkle of lemon zest. Serve with chilled Muller Thurgau.