This is a handy recipe to have when you have too much spaghetti dinner leftovers or you can begin from scratch.
Make this your own! You can substitute your favorite, or available, cheeses; meats; add vegetables; use ricotta (or not). You can even bake this inside puff pastry!
Baking vessel– Are you going to use a springform pan? Large pie pan? Freeze it for later? Whatever pan you decide, butter or oil it well; top to bottom. If you do plan to freeze and keep it for later then line the pan with parchment paper; assemble, then hard freeze it, remove from pan and wrap well in plastic wrap; it will keep for up to 3 months. When ready to use simply remove all the wrappings and place back in the pan you first assembled it in; then bake and eat!
- 3 room temperature, beaten eggs
- Salt & pepper to taste (some cheese choices could be salty so be careful)
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- 3/4 cup of shredded cheese(s)- Mozzarella, Provolone or ½ of both
- Choice of meat- hamburger, Italian sausage, prosciutto, chicken
- Leftover spaghetti- or 1 pound cooked
- Red sauce- homemade or from a 25-oz. jar- mix amount needed to pull all together. More red sauce may be needed if starting from scratch.
- 1 cup of plain or Italian bread crumbs
- Can also add– red pepper flakes; 1 tablespoon minced garlic; 1/3 cup dry red wine; parsley, spinach (make sure it’s free of liquid), zucchini.
Sprinkle ¼ cup bread crumbs on bottom of pan. Top with 1/3 of pasta mixture; then top with ½ of meat mixture. Can add a vegetable layer now. Top with ½ of cheese(s). Top with 1/3 pasta. Lightly press down on all to make even. Repeat; ¼ cup bread crumbs; etcetera…. Ending with the pasta; press lightly again.
In a small bowl mix remaining bread crumbs and Parmesan; sprinkle over top of the pie. Dot with butter &/or drizzle with olive oil. (stop and hard freeze now, wrap and store). Bake and enjoy! Serve with extra red sauce guests can pour.
Bake in pre-heated 350-degree oven until heated through & golden-approx. 45-50 min.